Monday, August 9, 2010

sauca

Probably one of my favorite books is "Meditations from the Mat" by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison. My Yogabuddy introduced me to this book on our first "date" together. We were just beginning our friendship and had gone on a hike at a nearby recreation area. I'd asked her to talk to me about the 8-Limbed Path and she brought this book. I fell in love with it right off the bat. (and I might add I fell in love with her that day, as well. I am so grateful for this friendship in my life.)

Today I read Day 64 (Sometimes I read several days' readings and other days I skip or read one. It doesn't matter). Gates was talking about sauca. He mentioned that sauca is "the moment on our path when we begin to take the maintenance of our physical condition seriously." He talks about how, when he began his spiritual practice, he started to admire people who treated their bodies well.

Here is the quote I like the best: "Our body is the home of our spirit. It is the means by which we enact our beliefs. Therefore, the maintenance of the body is a spiritual duty, an act of love not only toward ourselves but toward all humanity." 

This really hits home to me. I've taken better and better care of my body since I entered (and I believe now have exited) menopause. And my journey along the yogic path began during that time as well. I've gradually done things to improve the way I treat my body:


  • I've gradually decreased medications
  • I've become vegetarian
  • I've gone toward more natural products for my body and hair and now even for the maintenance of our clothing and home.
  • I pay more attention to what my body is telling me when I'm hungry or tired or upset or need activity.
I think all of these things have worked together to make me physically healthier, but also I can sense a greater spiritual health as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment